Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel


Embed this content in your HTML

Search

Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels


Channel Catalog


Channel Description:

Latest Message Board Threads at StudioSysAdmins

older | 1 | .... | 147 | 148 | (Page 149) | 150 | 151 | .... | 187 | newer

    0 0

    Weekend Reading/Watching: ZFS replication in the cloud and Riot Games move to AWS
    posted by Michael Oliver on Dec. 18, 2015, 6:15 p.m. (1 day ago)
    Anyone using rsync.net to duplicate/backup their ZFS storate/snapshots in the cloud? Looks pretty damn sweet:

    Also pretty good talk on Riot Games move to AWS:


    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Anyone using rsync.net to duplicate/backup their ZFS storate/snapshots in the cloud? Looks pretty damn sweet:

    Also pretty good talk on Riot Games move to AWS:


    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF

    0 0

    Weekend Reading/Watching: ZFS replication in the cloud and Riot Games move to AWS
    posted by Brian Krusic on Dec. 18, 2015, 6:20 p.m. (1 day ago)
    Well I def see the appeal.

    After the initial snapshot/replication is made, hourly or sooner ones would be small/trivial relatively speaking.

    I plan to do something like this in the following year, approval permitting of course.  But using our bi coastal presence as a sort of back up site for each opposing side of the coast.

    - Brian

    A good day is when no one shows up...
    and you don't have to go anywhere."

    On Dec 18, 2015, at 3:09 PM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:

    Anyone using rsync.net to duplicate/backup their ZFS storate/snapshots in the cloud?  Looks pretty damn sweet:

    Also pretty good talk on Riot Games move to AWS:


    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF
    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Well I def see the appeal.

    After the initial snapshot/replication is made, hourly or sooner ones would be small/trivial relatively speaking.

    I plan to do something like this in the following year, approval permitting of course.  But using our bi coastal presence as a sort of back up site for each opposing side of the coast.

    - Brian

    A good day is when no one shows up...
    and you don't have to go anywhere."

    On Dec 18, 2015, at 3:09 PM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:

    Anyone using rsync.net to duplicate/backup their ZFS storate/snapshots in the cloud?  Looks pretty damn sweet:

    Also pretty good talk on Riot Games move to AWS:


    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF
    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


    0 0
  • 12/22/15--12:50: Remote edit London -> NY
  • Remote edit London -> NY
    posted by Rob LaRose on Dec. 22, 2015, 3:50 p.m. (4 days ago)
    Happy Christmas, everybody!

    One of our partner houses in London is hoping to do a remote Avid edit session with clients here in NY next week, but does not at this time have any streaming device.

    Given the time of year & short notice, Im not hopeful, but wonder if any of yall know of a place they could quickly source a Teradek Cube or similar, or a place they could bring their project that has streaming / remote infrastructure in place already.

    Thanks in advance for ideas!

    Rob



    rob larose | engineer | rock paper scissors | 212-255-6446 | www.rockpaperscissors.com

    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Happy Christmas, everybody!

    One of our partner houses in London is hoping to do a remote Avid edit session with clients here in NY next week, but does not at this time have any streaming device.

    Given the time of year & short notice, Im not hopeful, but wonder if any of yall know of a place they could quickly source a Teradek Cube or similar, or a place they could bring their project that has streaming / remote infrastructure in place already.

    Thanks in advance for ideas!

    Rob



    rob larose | engineer | rock paper scissors | 212-255-6446 | www.rockpaperscissors.com


    0 0
  • 12/24/15--05:39: Happy Holidays Everyone
  • Happy Holidays Everyone
    posted by John Hickson on Dec. 24, 2015, 8:39 a.m. (2 days ago)

    All,

    Happy Holidays to everyone and all the best in New Year.

    Hoping to kick things up a notch for the group next year so be prepared :)

    We are back up to 2300 members from over 900 companies - we still get people joining every day.

     

    Thank you all for your contributions and thanks to our sponsors for helping keep our site and group alive.

    All the best,

    John Hickson

    Thread Tags:
      fun holidays new year 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    All,

    Happy Holidays to everyone and all the best in New Year.

    Hoping to kick things up a notch for the group next year so be prepared :)

    We are back up to 2300 members from over 900 companies - we still get people joining every day.

     

    Thank you all for your contributions and thanks to our sponsors for helping keep our site and group alive.

    All the best,

    John Hickson


    0 0

    Need Segate ST3300955FC with Firmware XRC1
    posted by Mangesh Gholap on Dec. 24, 2015, 8:40 a.m. (2 days ago)



    Hello all genius ..

    I need the seagate drive Model no : ST3300955FC  with XRC1 firmware only total qty will be 4 and able to ship to India.
    Please let me know if you have the same drives its needed for one of my old Quantel storage very urgently..
    Thanks

    Mangesh G 

    Tel:  Mob: +919820915325
    Email: mangesh@futureworks.in 

    The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

    This Signature was created by Exclaimer Signature Manager Office 365 Edition. This message is only added when the product is in trial.
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     



    Hello all genius ..

    I need the seagate drive Model no : ST3300955FC  with XRC1 firmware only total qty will be 4 and able to ship to India.
    Please let me know if you have the same drives its needed for one of my old Quantel storage very urgently..
    Thanks

    Mangesh G 

    Tel:  Mob: +919820915325
    Email: mangesh@futureworks.in 

    The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

    This Signature was created by Exclaimer Signature Manager Office 365 Edition. This message is only added when the product is in trial.

    0 0

    StudioSysAdmins-Discuss Digest, Vol 75, Issue 18
    posted by Golam Moshiur Rahman Choudhury on Dec. 26, 2015, 9 p.m. (1 day ago)

    🚁

    Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone



    ---- studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com wrote ----

    If editor is in LA and Client is in NY and they just want to see the video output and not the editors monitors , we built an external box to just power a pcoip host card (external pcexpress chassis.) Take avid HDsdi out into black magic hdsdi to DVI converter and connect that into the pcoip host card connect host card to network, Then in NY get a pcoip portal and connect output to client tv and network. Make sure your offices are connected via an IPSec VPN firewall NOT ssl. 

    Configure portal and host card to settings for best picture over your wan link. What's nice about pcoip when Parked in frame it's build to lossless. Unlike h264 or mpeg encoders they still look like shit. 

    Highly recommend tera2 portal and hostcard for best performance. 

    -s



    On Dec 24, 2015, at 7:40 AM, Pierre Couture <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

    Have you tried the PCoIP (Teradici) host card or HP RGS software? If your network is fast enough without too much latency, these two solutions should work. The HP RGS allow to have the Local Editor connected at the same time as the Remote user. PCoIp gives the best frame refresh but can only allow one user at a time.

    I've tried both soultions with a Nitrix DX box and it worked fine. It all depends on your network speed and the user expactation. I'd be happy to share my experience if you want.

     

    Pierre Couture

    daregraphic.com

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    🚁

    Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone



    ---- studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com wrote ----

    If editor is in LA and Client is in NY and they just want to see the video output and not the editors monitors , we built an external box to just power a pcoip host card (external pcexpress chassis.) Take avid HDsdi out into black magic hdsdi to DVI converter and connect that into the pcoip host card connect host card to network, Then in NY get a pcoip portal and connect output to client tv and network. Make sure your offices are connected via an IPSec VPN firewall NOT ssl. 

    Configure portal and host card to settings for best picture over your wan link. What's nice about pcoip when Parked in frame it's build to lossless. Unlike h264 or mpeg encoders they still look like shit. 

    Highly recommend tera2 portal and hostcard for best performance. 

    -s



    On Dec 24, 2015, at 7:40 AM, Pierre Couture <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

    Have you tried the PCoIP (Teradici) host card or HP RGS software? If your network is fast enough without too much latency, these two solutions should work. The HP RGS allow to have the Local Editor connected at the same time as the Remote user. PCoIp gives the best frame refresh but can only allow one user at a time.

    I've tried both soultions with a Nitrix DX box and it worked fine. It all depends on your network speed and the user expactation. I'd be happy to share my experience if you want.

     

    Pierre Couture

    daregraphic.com

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    0 0

    Automating re/installation of CentOS on local farm remotely?
    posted by Fredrik Averpil on Dec. 28, 2015, 4:04 a.m.

    Hi,

    I'm looking to use Ansible to remotely control our CentOS-based farm. However, I'd like to also be able to easily re-install one or more machines without resorting to manually using the DVD and entering all installation options by hand.

    Can a netinstall of CentOS 7 be set up in such a way that it will use a installation script which can, based on e.g. the mac address, set a specific hostname as well as IP address and then install CentOS using media from the local network?

    What would be the most remote control-friendly approach be in order to initiate such an installation, preferably over SSH?

     

    Regards,

    Fredrik

     

    Thread Tags:
      deployment 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    Hi,

    I'm looking to use Ansible to remotely control our CentOS-based farm. However, I'd like to also be able to easily re-install one or more machines without resorting to manually using the DVD and entering all installation options by hand.

    Can a netinstall of CentOS 7 be set up in such a way that it will use a installation script which can, based on e.g. the mac address, set a specific hostname as well as IP address and then install CentOS using media from the local network?

    What would be the most remote control-friendly approach be in order to initiate such an installation, preferably over SSH?

     

    Regards,

    Fredrik

     


    0 0

    Automating re/installation of CentOS on local farm remotely?
    posted by Peter Smith on Dec. 28, 2015, 9:40 a.m. (1 day ago)
    Hi Fredrick

    Assuming you have control over your DHCP server, this is trivial.

    PXE and kickstart are your friends. :-)

    Where are you getting stuck?

    Pete
    --

    On 28/12/15 09:04, Fredrik Averpil wrote:

    Hi,

    I'm looking to use Ansible to remotely control our CentOS-based farm. However, I'd like to also be able to easily re-install one or more machines without resorting to manually using the DVD and entering all installation options by hand.

    Can a netinstall of CentOS 7 be set up in such a way that it will use a installation script which can, based on e.g. the mac address, set a specific hostname as well as IP address and then install CentOS using media from the local network?

    What would be the most remote control-friendly approach be in order to initiate such an installation, preferably over SSH?

    Regards,

    Fredrik




    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Hi Fredrick

    Assuming you have control over your DHCP server, this is trivial.

    PXE and kickstart are your friends. :-)

    Where are you getting stuck?

    Pete
    --

    On 28/12/15 09:04, Fredrik Averpil wrote:

    Hi,

    I'm looking to use Ansible to remotely control our CentOS-based farm. However, I'd like to also be able to easily re-install one or more machines without resorting to manually using the DVD and entering all installation options by hand.

    Can a netinstall of CentOS 7 be set up in such a way that it will use a installation script which can, based on e.g. the mac address, set a specific hostname as well as IP address and then install CentOS using media from the local network?

    What would be the most remote control-friendly approach be in order to initiate such an installation, preferably over SSH?

    Regards,

    Fredrik




    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


    0 0

    Jog/Shuttle controller for RVSDI
    posted by Gerard Sam-Zee-Moi on Dec. 28, 2015, 2:01 p.m. (1 day ago)

    Can anyone recommend some sort of Jog/Shuttle controller we can use for RV running on linux? In past we have used some RS422 JLCooper devices to control various machines. We have also used some USB Contour Shuttle Pros on Windows and Mac plattforms but nothing for linux.

     

    Thread Tags:
      peripherals 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    Can anyone recommend some sort of Jog/Shuttle controller we can use for RV running on linux? In past we have used some RS422 JLCooper devices to control various machines. We have also used some USB Contour Shuttle Pros on Windows and Mac plattforms but nothing for linux.

     


    0 0

    Automating re/installation of CentOS on local farm remotely?
    posted by Dan Young on Dec. 28, 2015, 3:35 p.m. (1 day ago)
    Skipping TFTP (it's 2015) I've been quite enjoying iPXE....

    On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Niklas Aldergren <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

    Have a look at Foreman [http://www.theforeman.org], it does what you want.


    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



    --

    Framestore
    Dan Young Lead Systems Engineer
    LondonNew YorkLos AngelesMontral
    T+1 212 775 0600
    135 Spring Street, New York NY 10012
    TwitterFacebookframestore.com
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Skipping TFTP (it's 2015) I've been quite enjoying iPXE....

    On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Niklas Aldergren <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

    Have a look at Foreman [http://www.theforeman.org], it does what you want.


    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



    --

    Framestore
    Dan Young Lead Systems Engineer
    LondonNew YorkLos AngelesMontral
    T+1 212 775 0600
    135 Spring Street, New York NY 10012
    TwitterFacebookframestore.com

    0 0

    Parenting is a lot like Sysadminning
    posted by Tom Burns on Dec. 31, 2015, 8:40 a.m. (1 day ago)
    An interesting and useful comparison from TheBananaking on Reddit:

    https://np.reddit.com/r/Parenting/comments/3yagfv/parenting_is_a_lot_like_sysadminning/

    My very best wishes to all of us in 2016!

    TV Burns
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    An interesting and useful comparison from TheBananaking on Reddit:

    https://np.reddit.com/r/Parenting/comments/3yagfv/parenting_is_a_lot_like_sysadminning/

    My very best wishes to all of us in 2016!

    TV Burns

    0 0

    Autonomous Hauling, Recycling & Salvage (for Autistic Persons in California)
    posted by Jorg-Ulrich Mohnen on Jan. 2, 2016, 10:23 a.m. (2 days ago)

    For those in charge of recycling computer equipment, Autonomous Haulers LLC works closely together with The Help Group, a non-profit k-12 and adult accredited California Educational facility for those in need. 

    The next time your studio looks to recycling old equipment, send us the inventory to be recycled, and your special needs become our special needs, and you will feel the wonder of giving back to a community that is in so much need.

    Our young adults can do the work as well as anyone, and why not give them the chance!

     

    Visit our site today and Happy New Year!

    www.autonomoushaul.com

    Thread Tags:
      Autonomous Hauling, Recycling & Salvage (for Autistic Persons in California) 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    For those in charge of recycling computer equipment, Autonomous Haulers LLC works closely together with The Help Group, a non-profit k-12 and adult accredited California Educational facility for those in need. 

    The next time your studio looks to recycling old equipment, send us the inventory to be recycled, and your special needs become our special needs, and you will feel the wonder of giving back to a community that is in so much need.

    Our young adults can do the work as well as anyone, and why not give them the chance!

     

    Visit our site today and Happy New Year!

    www.autonomoushaul.com


    0 0

    OSX clients disconnect from Blue Arc Shares frequently..
    posted by Greg Whynott on Jan. 4, 2016, 1:35 p.m. (3 days ago)
    Hello everyone and happy nude rear. ;)


    We have about 20 OSX clients which mount SMB shares on our Blue Arc (running12.3.3826.03c HDS code, but the problem has been around for the last several upgrades). The OSX clientbehavioris the same between versions 10.9 to current versions.


    The videotranscendinggroup has been complaining about this for some time. Over the Christmas break I set up a test on my mac (latest code). It disconnected 11 times in 2 weeks. The PC disconnected zero times during the same test period.
    The operators of the transcoding services claim these disconnects happen even when they aretranscodingand cause the jobs to fail, indicating it isn't a 'sleep' issue, which by the way power savings is turned off.

    Anyone else haveexperiencewiththis issue?

    I'm going to collect a packet capture and attempt to trap it, but thought I'd ask here at the same time.

    thanks much!
    greg







    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Hello everyone and happy nude rear. ;)


    We have about 20 OSX clients which mount SMB shares on our Blue Arc (running12.3.3826.03c HDS code, but the problem has been around for the last several upgrades). The OSX clientbehavioris the same between versions 10.9 to current versions.


    The videotranscendinggroup has been complaining about this for some time. Over the Christmas break I set up a test on my mac (latest code). It disconnected 11 times in 2 weeks. The PC disconnected zero times during the same test period.
    The operators of the transcoding services claim these disconnects happen even when they aretranscodingand cause the jobs to fail, indicating it isn't a 'sleep' issue, which by the way power savings is turned off.

    Anyone else haveexperiencewiththis issue?

    I'm going to collect a packet capture and attempt to trap it, but thought I'd ask here at the same time.

    thanks much!
    greg








    0 0

    OSX clients disconnect from Blue Arc Shares frequently..
    posted by Grant Fraser on Jan. 4, 2016, 8:40 p.m. (3 days ago)

    Just a note on the 'sleep' issue. OSX will sleep even when background tasks are using 100% CPU and all power settings are set to never. I've struck this when putting MacPros onto a renderfarm. Even though the machine is rendering flat-out OSX will go into some sort of sleep mode and kill the render.

    We solved it by installing an OSX app called Caffine (free from the AppStore). It puts up an icon of a coffee cup which when active (steaming) stops all screensaving/power/hibernation etc from happening.

    Might be worth a test on a machine that's dropping while transcoding.

    I also agree with Michael re SMB1 and SMB2. Apple dropped samba and wrote their own SMB code that want's to use SMB2.

     

     

    On 2016-01-05 09:36, Michael Oliver wrote:

    CIFS should be SMB1 where as SMB uses SMB2.  You might get slower speeds from SMB1 but at least you can narrow your problem down.  You can try forcing all smb connections to SMB1 via:
    echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf
     
    and/or try tweaking the "sysctl net.smb.fs" settings (increase loglevel, extend deadtimers)
     
    Another thing I remember hearing about was some sort of issue with Apple NIC's and Cisco switches using certain configs.  Might be worth testing an Intel gigabit PCI-e card or USB3.0 Gb adapter to eliminate the NIC/switch issue.
     
    Final guess...Maybe something with oplocks?

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    We have tried both Michael.   My understanding is CIFS is out in Apple land,  but I could be wrong there.  In any-event the behavior is about the same.  
     
    The local apple store gave us a free 'enterprise support' call.  I'll give them a call,  for the second time in my life (first was back in the early 2000's during OSX's post beta days,   it was a worthless call and wasted money,  NFS issues,  the answer was "this is a known issue and should be fixed by the time your kid's kid's finish University,  or 37 years pass,  whichever comes first."
     
    Google tells me others have the same issues with various SMB servers from OSX..  A few of them said they got around the problem by putting a AirPort between the client and server,  which of course is not a solution - and doesn't make a lot of sense, unless Apple didn't develop the OS/HW themselves...
     
    -greg
     
     

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
    Are the clients mounting via smb:// or cifs://?  See if cifs gives you better stability.  

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello everyone and happy nude rear.  ;)
     
     
    We have about 20 OSX clients which mount SMB shares on our Blue Arc (running 12.3.3826.03c HDS code,  but the problem has been around for the last several upgrades).  The OSX client behavior is the same between versions 10.9 to current versions.
     
     
    The video transcending group has been complaining about this for some time.   Over the Christmas break I set up a test on my mac (latest code).  It disconnected 11 times in 2 weeks.  The PC disconnected zero times during the same test period.   
    The operators of the transcoding services claim these disconnects happen even when they are transcoding and cause the jobs to fail,  indicating it isn't a 'sleep' issue,  which by the way power savings is turned off.
     
    Anyone else have experience with this issue? 
     
    I'm going to collect a packet capture and attempt to trap it,  but thought I'd ask here at the same time.  
     
    thanks much!
    greg
     
     
     
     
      
     
     
     
    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    Just a note on the 'sleep' issue. OSX will sleep even when background tasks are using 100% CPU and all power settings are set to never. I've struck this when putting MacPros onto a renderfarm. Even though the machine is rendering flat-out OSX will go into some sort of sleep mode and kill the render.

    We solved it by installing an OSX app called Caffine (free from the AppStore). It puts up an icon of a coffee cup which when active (steaming) stops all screensaving/power/hibernation etc from happening.

    Might be worth a test on a machine that's dropping while transcoding.

    I also agree with Michael re SMB1 and SMB2. Apple dropped samba and wrote their own SMB code that want's to use SMB2.

     

     

    On 2016-01-05 09:36, Michael Oliver wrote:

    CIFS should be SMB1 where as SMB uses SMB2.  You might get slower speeds from SMB1 but at least you can narrow your problem down.  You can try forcing all smb connections to SMB1 via:
    echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf
     
    and/or try tweaking the "sysctl net.smb.fs" settings (increase loglevel, extend deadtimers)
     
    Another thing I remember hearing about was some sort of issue with Apple NIC's and Cisco switches using certain configs.  Might be worth testing an Intel gigabit PCI-e card or USB3.0 Gb adapter to eliminate the NIC/switch issue.
     
    Final guess...Maybe something with oplocks?

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    We have tried both Michael.   My understanding is CIFS is out in Apple land,  but I could be wrong there.  In any-event the behavior is about the same.  
     
    The local apple store gave us a free 'enterprise support' call.  I'll give them a call,  for the second time in my life (first was back in the early 2000's during OSX's post beta days,   it was a worthless call and wasted money,  NFS issues,  the answer was "this is a known issue and should be fixed by the time your kid's kid's finish University,  or 37 years pass,  whichever comes first."
     
    Google tells me others have the same issues with various SMB servers from OSX..  A few of them said they got around the problem by putting a AirPort between the client and server,  which of course is not a solution - and doesn't make a lot of sense, unless Apple didn't develop the OS/HW themselves...
     
    -greg
     
     

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
    Are the clients mounting via smb:// or cifs://?  See if cifs gives you better stability.  

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello everyone and happy nude rear.  ;)
     
     
    We have about 20 OSX clients which mount SMB shares on our Blue Arc (running 12.3.3826.03c HDS code,  but the problem has been around for the last several upgrades).  The OSX client behavior is the same between versions 10.9 to current versions.
     
     
    The video transcending group has been complaining about this for some time.   Over the Christmas break I set up a test on my mac (latest code).  It disconnected 11 times in 2 weeks.  The PC disconnected zero times during the same test period.   
    The operators of the transcoding services claim these disconnects happen even when they are transcoding and cause the jobs to fail,  indicating it isn't a 'sleep' issue,  which by the way power savings is turned off.
     
    Anyone else have experience with this issue? 
     
    I'm going to collect a packet capture and attempt to trap it,  but thought I'd ask here at the same time.  
     
    thanks much!
    greg
     
     
     
     
      
     
     
     
    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    0 0
  • 01/04/16--18:00: 360 VR Camera Rig
  • 360 VR Camera Rig
    posted by Michael Oliver on Jan. 4, 2016, 9 p.m. (3 days ago)
    Anyone have a 360VR GoPro rig they are interested in renting out for 2 weeks or know of a person/business that does? I am based in Los Angeles and looking for 2 rigs asap.

    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Anyone have a 360VR GoPro rig they are interested in renting out for 2 weeks or know of a person/business that does? I am based in Los Angeles and looking for 2 rigs asap.

    --
    Michael Oliver
    mcoliver@gmail.com
    858.336.1438
    PGP Public Key: https://goo.gl/a2CnHF

    0 0

    Authentication in mixed environment best practices
    posted by Alexander T on Jan. 5, 2016, 7:14 a.m. (2 days ago)

    What do you guys use for central authentication in mixed environment (Linux mainly with some Windows/OSX)? Is it needed at all or just local accounts and working with guest nfs/samba shares is concidered good enough? I'm wondering if I need to implement NFSv4 security or Samba security for our studio shares. We're currently using NFS v3 (Linux) and password protected Samba (Windows/OSX) - around 30 clients in total. I know that NFSv3 is not much secure if you have access to the network with a rooted machine. What are the best practices?


    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     1 Comments  
     

    What do you guys use for central authentication in mixed environment (Linux mainly with some Windows/OSX)? Is it needed at all or just local accounts and working with guest nfs/samba shares is concidered good enough? I'm wondering if I need to implement NFSv4 security or Samba security for our studio shares. We're currently using NFS v3 (Linux) and password protected Samba (Windows/OSX) - around 30 clients in total. I know that NFSv3 is not much secure if you have access to the network with a rooted machine. What are the best practices?


    0 0

    way off topic. road side assistance.
    posted by Greg Whynott on Jan. 5, 2016, 6 p.m. (2 days ago)

    Left work yesterday, walked over to the underground parking lot I use. Got to my car and noticed some asshat let the air out of 2 of my tires. (guess they don't like my 'use unix' license plate) Glad they were not slashed but it was obvious they were not as the air caps were off and near the tires...

    Anyway.... I call the parking lot (its a big one in Toronto, Green P) expecting they would have an air pump. I see their 'service' van driving around the lots all the time, not sure what they are up to... "we don't have any air pumps sir"... Well shoot....

    Next I call my road side assistance plan that came with the car. I tell them what happened, they respond "We can't send anyone out to pump up your tires, only replace them or put your spare on for you"... wow...

    Then I walk back to the car thinking 'this is going to end up costing me 100 dollars or more to get some air blown into my tires", and got sad.

    My car didn't come with a spare tire, something Volvo does to save weight I guess... Instead they have a blowout repair kit. Its a 'can' of compressed air with this shizzz in it that they claim will fix most blow outs. I start thinking to myself " i wonder if I could use it on both my tires 1/2 and 1/2", just to put enough air in to get to the gas station.

    So I dig into the trunk, a place I don't look at often... And then the day got brighter all of a sudden!! My car came with both the repair kit and a built in air pump!!! I was so happy! Beer isn't too far off after all!!



    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     

    Left work yesterday, walked over to the underground parking lot I use. Got to my car and noticed some asshat let the air out of 2 of my tires. (guess they don't like my 'use unix' license plate) Glad they were not slashed but it was obvious they were not as the air caps were off and near the tires...

    Anyway.... I call the parking lot (its a big one in Toronto, Green P) expecting they would have an air pump. I see their 'service' van driving around the lots all the time, not sure what they are up to... "we don't have any air pumps sir"... Well shoot....

    Next I call my road side assistance plan that came with the car. I tell them what happened, they respond "We can't send anyone out to pump up your tires, only replace them or put your spare on for you"... wow...

    Then I walk back to the car thinking 'this is going to end up costing me 100 dollars or more to get some air blown into my tires", and got sad.

    My car didn't come with a spare tire, something Volvo does to save weight I guess... Instead they have a blowout repair kit. Its a 'can' of compressed air with this shizzz in it that they claim will fix most blow outs. I start thinking to myself " i wonder if I could use it on both my tires 1/2 and 1/2", just to put enough air in to get to the gas station.

    So I dig into the trunk, a place I don't look at often... And then the day got brighter all of a sudden!! My car came with both the repair kit and a built in air pump!!! I was so happy! Beer isn't too far off after all!!




    0 0
  • 01/06/16--07:50: MPAA audit requirements
  • MPAA audit requirements
    posted by Michael Hatton on Jan. 6, 2016, 10:50 a.m. (1 day ago)
    Hi SSA, Happy New Year! We are a small studio about to receive an MPAA audit and was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting compliant. Specifically a good firewall solution and dealing with the "airgap". We are primarily Linux based workstations, with some Macs and I foresee some Windows coming anyday now. Currently at around 15 people, mostly comp (Nuke) and some Maya. Regards, Michael Hatton Mavericks VFX VFX supervisor / Pipeline TD To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Hi SSA, Happy New Year! We are a small studio about to receive an MPAA audit and was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting compliant. Specifically a good firewall solution and dealing with the "airgap". We are primarily Linux based workstations, with some Macs and I foresee some Windows coming anyday now. Currently at around 15 people, mostly comp (Nuke) and some Maya. Regards, Michael Hatton Mavericks VFX VFX supervisor / Pipeline TD To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    0 0

    OSX clients disconnect from Blue Arc Shares frequently..
    posted by Todd Smith on Jan. 6, 2016, 10:30 p.m. (1 day ago)
    Have you tried something like cron'ing to touch a file on the NAS every 5 seconds or so?
    Might be good to rule out some automount timeout dealy.


    Todd Smith
    Head of Information Technology

    soho vfx 
    99 Atlantic Ave. Suite 303, Toronto, Ontario M6K 3J8


    Caffeine didn't work for us unfortunately.  6 of the 6 mac's it was installed on lost the connection overnight. ;(

    -greg


    On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:43 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    I installed Caffine on the machines,  seemed the quickest thing to try,  will know tomorrow if it worked.

    As for the SMB1 and 2,  I totally understand what and where they come from,  I was merely stating we tried both.  Slowness would of been acceptable if the disconnect issue went away,  but that wasn't the case.

    I have concerns about both potential solutions ( new NIC,  sneaky sleep) as it is _only_ the HDS system that disconnects.    We have ISIS client,   TerraBlock client,   other windows shares hosted from both windows and non windows file servers,  yet only the HDS system disconnects its shares,   and that is the one in use for the transcoding.

    I use to think it was our co-lo as this HDS server was across town,  but we recently moved it here on site and the problem persists...  


    I so hope Caffine nails it.  ;)

    thanks again Michael and Grant.
    greg






    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 8:39 PM, <grantf@grunt.com.au> wrote:

    Just a note on the 'sleep' issue. OSX will sleep even when background tasks are using 100% CPU and all power settings are set to never. I've struck this when putting MacPros onto a renderfarm. Even though the machine is rendering flat-out OSX will go into some sort of sleep mode and kill the render.

    We solved it by installing an OSX app called Caffine (free from the AppStore). It puts up an icon of a coffee cup which when active (steaming) stops all screensaving/power/hibernation etc from happening.

    Might be worth a test on a machine that's dropping while transcoding.

    I also agree with Michael re SMB1 and SMB2. Apple dropped samba and wrote their own SMB code that want's to use SMB2.

     

     

    On 2016-01-05 09:36, Michael Oliver wrote:

    CIFS should be SMB1 where as SMB uses SMB2.  You might get slower speeds from SMB1 but at least you can narrow your problem down.  You can try forcing all smb connections to SMB1 via:
    echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf
     
    and/or try tweaking the "sysctl net.smb.fs" settings (increase loglevel, extend deadtimers)
     
    Another thing I remember hearing about was some sort of issue with Apple NIC's and Cisco switches using certain configs.  Might be worth testing an Intel gigabit PCI-e card or USB3.0 Gb adapter to eliminate the NIC/switch issue.
     
    Final guess...Maybe something with oplocks?

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    We have tried both Michael.   My understanding is CIFS is out in Apple land,  but I could be wrong there.  In any-event the behavior is about the same.  
     
    The local apple store gave us a free 'enterprise support' call.  I'll give them a call,  for the second time in my life (first was back in the early 2000's during OSX's post beta days,   it was a worthless call and wasted money,  NFS issues,  the answer was "this is a known issue and should be fixed by the time your kid's kid's finish University,  or 37 years pass,  whichever comes first."
     
    Google tells me others have the same issues with various SMB servers from OSX..  A few of them said they got around the problem by putting a AirPort between the client and server,  which of course is not a solution - and doesn't make a lot of sense, unless Apple didn't develop the OS/HW themselves...
     
    -greg
     
     

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
    Are the clients mounting via smb:// or cifs://?  See if cifs gives you better stability.  

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello everyone and happy nude rear.  ;)
     
     
    We have about 20 OSX clients which mount SMB shares on our Blue Arc (running 12.3.3826.03c HDS code,  but the problem has been around for the last several upgrades).  The OSX client behavior is the same between versions 10.9 to current versions.
     
     
    The video transcending group has been complaining about this for some time.   Over the Christmas break I set up a test on my mac (latest code).  It disconnected 11 times in 2 weeks.  The PC disconnected zero times during the same test period.   
    The operators of the transcoding services claim these disconnects happen even when they are transcoding and cause the jobs to fail,  indicating it isn't a 'sleep' issue,  which by the way power savings is turned off.
     
    Anyone else have experience with this issue? 
     
    I'm going to collect a packet capture and attempt to trap it,  but thought I'd ask here at the same time.  
     
    thanks much!
    greg
     
     
     
     
      
     
     
     
    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Have you tried something like cron'ing to touch a file on the NAS every 5 seconds or so?
    Might be good to rule out some automount timeout dealy.


    Todd Smith
    Head of Information Technology

    soho vfx 
    99 Atlantic Ave. Suite 303, Toronto, Ontario M6K 3J8


    Caffeine didn't work for us unfortunately.  6 of the 6 mac's it was installed on lost the connection overnight. ;(

    -greg


    On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 4:43 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    I installed Caffine on the machines,  seemed the quickest thing to try,  will know tomorrow if it worked.

    As for the SMB1 and 2,  I totally understand what and where they come from,  I was merely stating we tried both.  Slowness would of been acceptable if the disconnect issue went away,  but that wasn't the case.

    I have concerns about both potential solutions ( new NIC,  sneaky sleep) as it is _only_ the HDS system that disconnects.    We have ISIS client,   TerraBlock client,   other windows shares hosted from both windows and non windows file servers,  yet only the HDS system disconnects its shares,   and that is the one in use for the transcoding.

    I use to think it was our co-lo as this HDS server was across town,  but we recently moved it here on site and the problem persists...  


    I so hope Caffine nails it.  ;)

    thanks again Michael and Grant.
    greg






    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 8:39 PM, <grantf@grunt.com.au> wrote:

    Just a note on the 'sleep' issue. OSX will sleep even when background tasks are using 100% CPU and all power settings are set to never. I've struck this when putting MacPros onto a renderfarm. Even though the machine is rendering flat-out OSX will go into some sort of sleep mode and kill the render.

    We solved it by installing an OSX app called Caffine (free from the AppStore). It puts up an icon of a coffee cup which when active (steaming) stops all screensaving/power/hibernation etc from happening.

    Might be worth a test on a machine that's dropping while transcoding.

    I also agree with Michael re SMB1 and SMB2. Apple dropped samba and wrote their own SMB code that want's to use SMB2.

     

     

    On 2016-01-05 09:36, Michael Oliver wrote:

    CIFS should be SMB1 where as SMB uses SMB2.  You might get slower speeds from SMB1 but at least you can narrow your problem down.  You can try forcing all smb connections to SMB1 via:
    echo "[default]" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf; echo "smb_neg=smb1_only" >> ~/Library/Preferences/nsmb.conf
     
    and/or try tweaking the "sysctl net.smb.fs" settings (increase loglevel, extend deadtimers)
     
    Another thing I remember hearing about was some sort of issue with Apple NIC's and Cisco switches using certain configs.  Might be worth testing an Intel gigabit PCI-e card or USB3.0 Gb adapter to eliminate the NIC/switch issue.
     
    Final guess...Maybe something with oplocks?

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 2:12 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    We have tried both Michael.   My understanding is CIFS is out in Apple land,  but I could be wrong there.  In any-event the behavior is about the same.  
     
    The local apple store gave us a free 'enterprise support' call.  I'll give them a call,  for the second time in my life (first was back in the early 2000's during OSX's post beta days,   it was a worthless call and wasted money,  NFS issues,  the answer was "this is a known issue and should be fixed by the time your kid's kid's finish University,  or 37 years pass,  whichever comes first."
     
    Google tells me others have the same issues with various SMB servers from OSX..  A few of them said they got around the problem by putting a AirPort between the client and server,  which of course is not a solution - and doesn't make a lot of sense, unless Apple didn't develop the OS/HW themselves...
     
    -greg
     
     

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Michael Oliver <mcoliver@gmail.com> wrote:
    Are the clients mounting via smb:// or cifs://?  See if cifs gives you better stability.  

    On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
    Hello everyone and happy nude rear.  ;)
     
     
    We have about 20 OSX clients which mount SMB shares on our Blue Arc (running 12.3.3826.03c HDS code,  but the problem has been around for the last several upgrades).  The OSX client behavior is the same between versions 10.9 to current versions.
     
     
    The video transcending group has been complaining about this for some time.   Over the Christmas break I set up a test on my mac (latest code).  It disconnected 11 times in 2 weeks.  The PC disconnected zero times during the same test period.   
    The operators of the transcoding services claim these disconnects happen even when they are transcoding and cause the jobs to fail,  indicating it isn't a 'sleep' issue,  which by the way power savings is turned off.
     
    Anyone else have experience with this issue? 
     
    I'm going to collect a packet capture and attempt to trap it,  but thought I'd ask here at the same time.  
     
    thanks much!
    greg
     
     
     
     
      
     
     
     
    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


     
    --

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe



    To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe


    0 0

    Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K - HDMI output and splitters
    posted by Thomas Ericsson on Jan. 7, 2016, 10:55 a.m.
    Does anyone out there have a working combo that splits UltraStudio HDMI output to 2 screens. We currently run the following setup:

    MacPro -> UltraStudio via Thunderbolt -> Splitter: Key Digital KD-HD1x2ProK via HDMI -> NEC SpectraView Reference 322UHD + Sony Bravia FW-55X8570C via HDMI.

    As soon as we put the splitter in the mix the UltraStudio gets confused and outputs the wrong resolution for both devices. A Quantum video signal tester outputs the correct signal to both devices through the splitter, so I assume the problem is with the UltraStudio. BlackMagic is of no help, so we will check the forums there as well, but i thought i would try here as well.

    Thomas

    --
    -------------------------------
    Fido
    Rosenlundsgatan 40, 4 tr.
    118 53 Stockholm
    SWEDEN
    Phone: +46855699006
    -------------------------------
    Thread Tags:
      discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

    0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
     
    Does anyone out there have a working combo that splits UltraStudio HDMI output to 2 screens. We currently run the following setup:

    MacPro -> UltraStudio via Thunderbolt -> Splitter: Key Digital KD-HD1x2ProK via HDMI -> NEC SpectraView Reference 322UHD + Sony Bravia FW-55X8570C via HDMI.

    As soon as we put the splitter in the mix the UltraStudio gets confused and outputs the wrong resolution for both devices. A Quantum video signal tester outputs the correct signal to both devices through the splitter, so I assume the problem is with the UltraStudio. BlackMagic is of no help, so we will check the forums there as well, but i thought i would try here as well.

    Thomas

    --
    -------------------------------
    Fido
    Rosenlundsgatan 40, 4 tr.
    118 53 Stockholm
    SWEDEN
    Phone: +46855699006
    -------------------------------

older | 1 | .... | 147 | 148 | (Page 149) | 150 | 151 | .... | 187 | newer